Basingstoke MP calls on residents to take advantage of the Government’s £2 bus fare cap to explore Hampshire during the summer months.
Bus operators Stagecoach, Bluestar and First Solent have joined forces with Hampshire County Council to launch a campaign highlighting the advantages of travelling by bus and the wide range of attractions that can be reached.
Basingstoke MP Maria Miller said. “With the Government’s £2 bus fare cap in place until autumn travelling by bus is a more affordable way to get out and about this summer in Basingstoke and beyond.
“A trip into the countryside, a visit to a historic site, shopping centres or leisure facilities, there’s a wealth of choices on offer that are just a bus ride away.
“Travelling by bus is a convenient way to connect with friends and family, support local businesses and it helps the environment too.”
Some of destinations that can be visited via bus are:
- Milestones Museum, Basingstoke – Stagecoach 8 / 76
- Basingstoke Leisure Park – Stagecoach 8 / 76
- Bombay Sapphire Distillery, Laverstoke – Stagecoach 76
- Winchester Science Centre – Stagecoach 64 / Bluestar South Downs Rambler
- Marwell Zoo, Colden Common – Bluestar Z00 / Stagecoach 69 on Sundays
- Jane Austen’s House, Chawton – Stagecoach 38 / 64
- Watercress Line, New Alresford and Alton – Stagecoach 13 / 38 / 64 / 65
In April this year, the Government confirmed that the £2 bus fare cap had been extended until 31 October to help passengers with cost of living and then £2.50 until November 2024.
An Older Persons bus pass, for those of pensionable age, enables free travel on buses throughout England from 9:30am to 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and on public holidays (or free travel anytime with a Disabled Person’s pass). Hampshire residents can check eligibility and apply at https://www.hants.gov.uk/buspasses
Bus services in Hampshire accommodate a wide range of accessibility needs where practical.
For more information and to plan you bus journey visit https://myjourneyhampshire.com/ or your local bus company’s website.